Diving into News Heralds

Sports

Hannah Gripp, Reporter

The girls’ swim team took home second place at their News Herald meet this past Saturday and dominated the diving event.

Senior Marissa Woida took home first with high scoring dives across the board.

“This year I feel that my dives are a lot stronger,” Woida said. “I’m a lot more confident with my dives and overall I’m stronger mentally and physically.”

Mackenzie Patten, senior, placed 7th out of the 12 divers in the meet.

“We did pretty good in diving today, I think the team can do a lot this year and I think we’ll do good,” Patten said.

The team as a whole finished with a score of 230 points, only trailing 30 points behind Trenton, the winner of News Heralds.

The girls’ have a lot of victories they are proud of, with a lot of personal best times Julia Gutierrez and Marissa Woida earned four MISCA state cut times each.

“I’m proud of the team because of our strong finish and we truly put forth our best efforts throughout the whole meet,” captain Samantha Root said.

Overall, they are undefeated in dual meets, with their only Downriver League loss being to Trenton on Saturday.

Hannah is a senior reporter. This is her first year participating in Wy-News. Inside of school, she is a member of the varsity tennis team, a member of the Teen Task Force, is a mentor for the PBIS Lunch Club, and a member of NHS. Outside of school Hannah is very involved with the Woodhaven Kiwanis, volunteering with the media department of her church, and her part time job at Francesca’s. “I joined Wy-News because I’ve always been passionate on writing and I knew this would be a rewarding challenge to master a new style of writing, while learning more about school events and our student body.”