Bears bounce back with victory against Edsel Ford

Sports

Megan Harper, Reporter

Wyandotte came back from a tough loss at Allen Park last week, winning against Edsel Ford at home Friday night 47-0.

The Bears had a successful team effort in the second half, scoring 23 points. Scorers included senior wide receiver Chance Persondek, who scored two touchdowns, and juniors wide receiver Keyshawn Stanley, running back Oscar Valenzuela, and running back Romance Keyser, who scored one touchdown each.

“I think everybody played really well,” coach Derek Hoffman said. “The best part is, every single one of our players got to get in the game.”

The game started slow, with no points from either team in the first quarter. Sophomore quarterback Jalin Pitchford scored the first touchdown of the game only seconds into the second quarter. The Bears then proceeded to score an additional 18 points throughout the rest of the quarter.

“We started off slow, but towards the end of the first quarter our whole team stepped up and we ended up coming out with a dub,” senior kicker Josh Castillo said.

Castillo scored eleven points throughout the game, with two field goals and five points-after-touchdowns. Great plays were also made throughout the game by players such as juniors Christian Cooper and Cody Bowser and seniors Aaron Canter, Joseph Dull, and Sean Zukowski.

“We gotta play for one, and everyone else on the team gotta play for each other,” sophomore quarterback Jalin Pitchford said. “If we can do that, we can win. Nobody can beat us.”

Last week’s 30-14 loss at Allen Park was the second for the Bears this season. They previously lost 14-10 at Woodhaven two weeks earlier. Wyandotte had not been 2-2 at this point in the season since 2006.

“To be better at anything, you have to work at it. You have to go through the repetitions in order to understand what’s going on, and to be honest, we’re making too many mistakes,” head coach Ron Adams said. “We’d like to be able to do more on the offensive side. We want to clean that up a little bit, and hopefully that can translate into wins on Friday night.”

Megan is a sophomore reporter. This is her first year in Wy-News. At school, she is involved in Symphony Band, Science Club, and Tri-M. She is also actively involved in class activities, such as choreographing for lip sync and making the homecoming banner. Outside of school, she is a competitive dancer, and spends the majority of her time rehearsing and performing. “I joined Wy-News to challenge myself to do something new and improve my writing.”