Sophomore superstar

Sports

Bears lost game against Cardinals, one player still stood out

Julia Tully, Reporter

Sophomore Alex Bermudez has been a key player on the Bear’s varsity soccer team, even when losing to the Melvindale Cardinals 0-7.

Bermudez, center-back on the varsity team, has brought defensive skills and energy to the group, according to his teammates.

“That kid can hold down defense like nobody else in the world,” sophomore varsity player Reilly Gomez said. “He can jump and leap for days and just kick that ball where it needs to go.”

The Bears had a rough time offensively on Wednesday according to team captain Nicholas Benkarski. However, they had some good passing out of the back, along with great saves from their goalie,  according to Gomez.

Even though they have had a rough season, Gomez said the team plans on really getting their heads in the game, and focusing on their teamwork in the upcoming games.

Bermudez’s job on the field is to defend the area directly in front of the goal, and according to his teammates, he’s been doing a great job.

“He’s done some crazy stuff,” Benkarski said. “For how young he is, he’s got a lot of talent.”

Julia is a sophomore reporter. This is her first year in Wy-News. Inside of school, she is involved in A cappella choir, Rovasi chorale, Theatre and she is a trumpet player in Marching Band. Outside of school, she helps out the Wyandotte Academy Youth Choir, directed by Mrs. Kane. “I joined Wy-News because I love to write, and I just wanted to challenge myself to learn a completely different way of writing.”