A Starry Night

News

A Starry Night

Extreme Science Club hosts 8th annual “Party with the Stars”

SaMya Overall and Max Skolnik, Reporters

The RHS Extreme Science Club hosted their 8th annual “Party with the Stars” event on March 1.

“Party with the Stars is our annual Science Club event that we host in the planetarium and in the commons,” Science Club advisor Tina Weller said. “We teach kids 10 and under all about space science.”

One of the main attractions is the planetarium, which was renovated last year.

“They can go into the planetarium, and Mrs. Weller puts on an astronomy show every year,” senior vice president Brooke Madgwick said. “This year it will be extra special because of the new planetarium.”

Although the event was free to all kids, donations were accepted to fund Extreme Science Club’s end of the year trip

“We ask for a donation. We don’t charge so people give what they can afford to give,” Weller said. “All of that money goes toward all of the busing that we do for our Friends of the Rouge trip, where we take a different slant, not astronomy, but we look at the Rouge watershed that affects the Detroit River…”

Party with the Stars is designed to get elementary students interested in science careers.

“The takeaway is to inspire them,” Weller said. “To inspire them to take science classes here when they get to RHS, and to take these jobs no one is taking anymore in science, technology, engineering, and math, and aerospace science…”

Weller and the Extreme Science Club want to create a positive, lasting impression of astronomy on the kids.

“I think they can just really gain an appreciation of what goes on in the solar system and figure out if they’re really interested…” Madgwick said. “I think it’s cool just getting a bunch of children all together and doing fun activities and teaching them about what’s going on in the solar system.”

Max is a senior and is the BearDaily Editor-in-Chief. He has been apart of Wy-News for two years. Inside of school, he is the Senior Drum Major of the Marching Band, the President of NHS, a member of the Men’s Varsity Rowing Team, Secretary of Science Club and Tri-M, is a class representative for Student Council, and is a Link Crew Leader. Outside of school he volunteers at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, is a cellist in the Dearborn Youth Symphony Orchestra, and is a member of his church youth group. “I wanted to join Wy-News to bring more information and content to the student body for their enjoyment. I love everything about Wy-News, from the people, to the topics we report on, to all the different types of experiences I am exposed to. I never thought I’d love something so much as I do the Wy-News.”